The Child and Adolescent Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) is designed as an alternative to inpatient hospitalization. This short-term day treatment program is for children or adolescents who require intensive support and structure, but not 24-hour supervision. Patients may be enrolled directly into a PHP program or may be “stepped down” from a hospital setting to facilitate the quickest return to the home setting.
Our program is designed to work for children and adolescents, and individual, cognitive, emotional and developmental needs are considered. Parents and family members are actively involved in the patient’s treatment. Children or adolescents that enter this program are having significant problems functioning in their family, school and/or community setting. Clinical intervention becomes necessary when other attempts to resolve these problems have been unsuccessful.
All participants in the Child & Adolescent Partial Hospitalization program will be offered educational services. The Fargo Public School district provides staff, which includes a licensed teacher, to help patients complete work required by their home school. Education services are also available for eight weeks during the summer where students may participate in remedial, age/grade appropriate or enrichment type activities in the classroom.
Adolescents who are dealing with substance abuse problems participate in a program designed to help the patient understand the disease concept of addiction, recognize and accept his/her problems with usage and put into place a recovery plan. Family members are encouraged to attend the weekly Family Program in order to gain a better understanding of addiction and learn healthy ways to support recovery.
Partial Hospitalization Programs run from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday with the following programs available:
- Child Partial Hospitalization – Mental Illness
- Adolescent Partial Hospitalization – Mental Illness
- Adolescent Partial Hospitalization – Chemical Dependency/Dual Diagnosis
The treatment goals for Child and Adolescent Partial Hospital include:
- Stabilize illness/behavior
- Learn skills and increase understanding necessary to resume basic occupational, educational or interpersonal functioning
- Prepare individuals for a return to healthy school/social/family relationships
- Teach use of available family, community and social support resources to avoid relapse
- Transition successfully to clinic follow up or other levels of care as appropriate